These are, without a doubt, one of my top three favorite cookies. They’re easy to make, they are not overly sweet, and they just about melt in your mouth. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Italian Anise Cookies
3/4 cup sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. anise extract
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Glaze (recipe follows)
Decoration: multicolored nonpareils (optional(
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat baking sheets with nonstick spray (or use a silicone liner).
2. DOUGH – Beat first 5 ingredients in a large bowl with mixer until blended. On low speed, beat in the next 3 ingredients until blended.
3. Drop rounded measuring teaspoons of dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared sheets.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until bottoms are light golden. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
5. Dip tops of cookies in glaze and, while wet, sprinkle with nonpareils. Let set. Store airtight at room temp. up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 1 month.
Glaze * Whisk 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 4-5 tsp. milk, and 1 tsp. ansie extract in a small bowl until smooth.
* When I made these last night, I only make half of the glaze recipe and found I had just enough.