1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? My favorite yarn to knit with, so far, is Patons Classic Merino Wool. It’s just so soft and cozy, plus it felts really well. I also enjoy knitting with Bernat Satin, for an acrylic yarn. It’s easy on the hands and has a nice sheen. I don’t really like knitting with the really cheap Red Heart SuperSaver-type yarns (though I’m using it now for a hat for my son) and generally I don’t like most eyelash yarns (though I have some Patons Cha-Cha because it makes good icing for those cupcakes in “One Skein”). I think some novelty yarns are fun in small doses. Until very recently I didn’t want to spend a lot of yarn because I wasn’t sure knitting was a hobby I’d stick with, but I’ve found myself becoming a little choosier. Overall I prefer wool and wool-blends, but nothing that sheds a lot.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Well, I almost exclusively use my Denise Interchangeables for my projects, so those are stored in that great case they came in. My DPNs are just wrapped with a rubber band and stored in my “yarn stash tote” when they’re not in use.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I have been knitting for almost a year. About two years ago I gave knitting a try, but I could not get the hang of it, and put it down for several months. Then last Thanksgiving I sat down with my husband’s aunt who helped me figure out where I was going wrong. After that very basic knit stitch lesson, I’ve taught myself via the video tutorials on Knitting Help. I would consider myself almost an intermediate. There are a few techniques I feel that I need to grasp.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes. My Amazon wish list is here.
5. What’s your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.) My favorite scents are vanilla, lemon, lilac, apple, sandalwood, cotton/linen, and grapefruit. I don’t like the smell of patchoulli and since my second son was born, the smell of lavender makes me feel ill. (Weird isn’t it? That’s supposed to make you feel better!)
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Yes, I have a sweet tooth, and I like most candies. My favorites are anything chocolate with caramel, or anything fruity/sour.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I do not spin. Aside from knitting I also enjoy making cards, cooking and baking, and I’m still very interested in gardening, though I haven’t done much in the past couple years because the soil here is terrible. Hopefully we’ll move before next summer and I can get back into it.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like a wide variety of music, though I can’t say there is too much on the radio right now that I really enjoy. A few of my favorite bands are Morphine, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Leonard Cohen, David Gray, and The Pie Tasters. I also love listening to jazz on the radio, and do often,Â thoughÂ I never know who the musicians are. Yes, my computer can play MP3s.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand? I tend to favor earth tones and jewel tones, though I can’t say there are any colors I hate. If pressed, I’d say that I don’t care for really bright colors. I like muted tones.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I am married and live with my husband, our two small boys (ages 4 and 1), a cat, and two goldfish.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes to hats and scarves. No to mittens (though my boys wear them). And I have one loosely crocheted poncho. I don’t think I’d buy or knit another one.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I love knitting bags, especially when I can felt them afterwards. I also love making felted bowls. I was on a dishcloth kick for a while, but I think I’ve burned myself out on them and my husband has begged me to stop because our drawers runneth over with dishcloths. On the “to knit” list are a pair of Fuzzy Feet (from Knitty.com) and a Moderne Log Cabin Blanket.
13. What are you knitting right now? I’m working on a couple baby sweaters, a felted bowl, and a pumpkin hat.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Of course!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I knit almost everything on my cirucular needles. When I go back to straights, I find them so unweildy. I like bamboo and plastic needles.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No.
17. How old is your oldest UFO? Four months old, I think. It’s feather and fan shawl I started early in the summer and kind of forgot about until recently.
18. What is your favorite holiday? Thanksgiving.
19. Is there anything that you collect? Milk glass, though I haven’t added to my collection since I’ve had to put all my breakables away.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I don’t subscribe to any knitting magazines though I will occasionally pick one up at the book store. In the past I’ve puchased “Knit Simple” and “Creative Knitting.” There are a couple books on my Amazon wish list that I’d like to get. I think right now my top two would be the Nikki EpsteinÂ embellishment book and Scarf Style.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? I’m going to give cables a shot soon. The only reason I haven’t done them is becauseÂ I haven’t had the time. I also want to try entrelac and next year my goal is to try lace knitting (beyond the very basic feather and fan pattern). I’d really like to make myself a lace shawl.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I am not a sock knitter. I feel like I should try knitting socks just to say I’ve done it, and because it’s so popular right now, but honestly there are a lot of other things I’d rather work on instead. As for foot measurements, my foot length is about 9 inches.
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) October 26.