The last few days I’ve seen lists on people’s blogs of things they do not like to eat. (See Lisanne, Cady, and Shanny.) I thought it would be fun to add my two cents on this topic. I’ve found everyone’s lists interesting and I’m so surprised at what people won’t eat! (LOL, you’d think that people would need to search for term life insurance rates online the way they think they’ll die from eating raw fish!) Of course, I have my own quirks. Truthfully, I’ll eat most things if they are put in front of me. A lot of the things I don’t like… it’s more like I don’t care much for them such as eggplant. I’ll eat it, but prefer not to. But here is a short list of things that I really, truly do not like:
- Offal: just the smell of organ meats cooking makes me ill. I guess the exception is high-quality foie gras, prepared the right way. Otherwise, that is pretty disgusting too.
- Beets: I’ve tried, I really have. I want to like them, but I can’t get past the earthy (read: dirt) flavor of them. I’ll bake them into a spice cake, but that’s about it.
- Bok choy
- Tat soi
- Collard greens
- Venison: It’s been a long time since I’ve had it and I’d be willing to try it again
- Corned beef: This is something that I really hate. Just the sight is unappetizing to me, forget the flavor
- New England Boiled Dinner: Ham, potatoes, cabbage and carrots boiled for like 8 hours in a pot? No. I’d cry when my mom made this.
- Green salads where the only dressing is mayo: I see this in cooking mags like “Taste of Home” — I think it’s a southern/midwestern thing. Usually they are layered salads. I have eaten them before but really — yuck.
- Tofu dogs: I like tofu. I like hot dogs. But this is a combo that just doesn’t work for me.
That’s really all I can think of for foods I downright dislike. What about you?